Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blueberry Cake

Well, it turns out that I DO know how to make Blueberry Cake, after all. I think the two main characteristics I had to include were Blue and Blueberry. So, I started with a two-layer round white cake, turned blue with food coloring. (You know, I usually do fancy shapes and piping, and lots of work, but...this was the request of Birthday Boy. Even so, I almost felt like I was letting him down. I've got to get over that.) The frosting was from the back of the box, sort of. I made standard frosting--1 box+ powdered sugar, 1 stick margarine, 1 t vanilla, a couple T milk. Then I added 1 tub lite Cool Whip and 1 t dried lemon peel and a copious amount of blue food coloring. Frosted bottom layer, added layer of blueberries. Then added second layer, frosted again. Spelled MATT with blueberries, added a few around the bottom for good measure. I thought it was done, but it turned out that what it really needed was ABC sprinkles to make it perfect. The boys both ate every bite, which doesn't usually happen. I guess it was a success!

The SotS is finished and blocked, and turned out pretty well. I'm pleased.

My dad's vest is on hold once again. I have finished both the front and the back, but... I've run out of yarn. And it is discontinued. (Note to self: Finish projects in a timely manner!) I think I've got a way to buy one more skein, but I'll be holding my breath until it gets here. It obviously won't be from the same dye lot, but it will be the same yarn, same colorway. All I have to do is the neck band and the arm bands. At least those will all be from the same dye lot. I just hope it is going to be close. I really want to get this thing off my plate.

It's getting colder here in Georgia...time to break out the scarves!

No comments: