Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Another Birthday!

We have a FOUR year old! DS2 turned four today. He is, of course, very excited about his birthday, and has declared that we get to go to the Alligator Park this afternoon. (There is a slide that looks like an alligator. Nobody else in East Cobb would know what you were talking about if you referred to the Alligator Park, though, so don't try it.) Tonight we dine on pizza AT the restaurant, and we will come home to Blueberry Cake and presents. (I think I've figured out how I'm going to comply with the cake request, but the proof will be in the pudding...)

Knitting...
I last wrote in early October. My, that is a lot of time. I have been making slow progress on the vest, and hope to have it done by the end of November. The Swiss-cheese scarf is done. I have also been keeping up with the SOS, or the Secret of the Stole, so that should be done next week. It is black with black beads, like my MS3, because that is what I had handy. I think it will be for my sister--she actually gets to go out now and again. Maybe I will keep the next one for myself. I've signed up for a couple more lace knit-alongs which start sometime next year, so maybe I will do one of those. Although I love the enforced pacing of the KALs, and the result is beautiful, I'm itching to knit another Lizard Ridge (and about a hundred other things). I need science to extend life expectency about 150 years, because I think I've got about that many projects lined up.

I got to do something fun a couple weeks ago... I loaded up a bunch of knitting, yarn, needles, and kids books (with knitting references/themes, of course) and read to DS1s 1st grade class. The kids seemed entertained--I hope they were. I got to show the scarf that DS and I designed when he was a little 3 year old, the Goodnight Moon afghan I designed, lace-edged pillowcases that my great-great-grandmother made, a knitted lace bonnet that my mom found at an auction or estate sale, and other things I packed in the bin. I read Derek the Knitting Dinosaur, The Long Red Scarf, Mrs. McDockerty's Knitting, and The Red Wolf. The Red Wolf is a bit weird (the princess turns her father the king into a mouse with knitted pajamas), but it was the kids' favorite. You never can tell, I guess. I don't think I was too obsessed-sounding, and the kids got to be exposed to knitting as a neat topic. It was a good day.

Well, Birthday Boy is telling me that it is time to go to the park. Ta ta!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Happy BDay, Little Guy! I think I last saw him 4 yrs ago---where does the time go??? How cool you got to be the Knitter Mom in class! I actually really liked The Red Wolf...oh, and a new one for you: Mr Putter and Tabby Spin the Yarn. Too cute!