Monday, April 16, 2007

Pumpkins, a Bag, Argosy, and a Birthday

I've finished a few more projects. The first to show is a pumpkin costume for an American Girl doll. There are the main pumpkin, green pants, a hat, and a pumpkin bag. I ran out of green, so the neckline of the costume is not really "right" but it'll do, just the same. The pattern is a freebie from Berroco, and the yarn is Vibe. I'll send it off to my Mum for Mother's Day in a couple weeks. I hope she'll send me a proper picture of it being modeled.


My second project to show is a purple linen bag. I'm afraid I didn't like this project at all. It just wasn't fun to knit. It is kind of a farmer's market bag, you know, that stretches to fit whatever you are buying fruit/vegetable/bread-wise. The bag has a weird twist to it which can be pulled out only briefly--then it twists right back up. Oh, well. It is done. I wish that I did like it, because I got the yarn when we went to North Carolina for DH's niece's (Nicole's) wedding. Nicole and her husband Lance are wonderful people, and it was a wonderful weekend. We visted Asheville and the Earthguild (I think), and I spotted the linen that I had always wanted to try. I'll knit with linen again someday, but I think I'll leave this pattern to others to try. I believe this pattern is from Folk Bags, and is called the Farmers Market Bag. It took two skeins of Euroflax.




Last is my version of Knitty's Argosy. I love this scarf! I used two skeins of Noro Silk Garden, and learned fairly quickly how to count to seven! (Over and over and over.) Argosy is being modeled by the boys' trusty rocking elephant. I guess these pictures show that I am not a photographer...




I have also finished the knitting on the train blanket. Once I sew down the last edge, it will be done, done, done!


Last but not least, we celebrated a birthday on Saturday. My eldest is now six. I can't believe it. I got weirdly teary when I delivered the cupcakes to school on Friday. How can he be six??? Drew requested super heroes as his cake/cupcake theme. I delivered two dozen Superman & Spiderman cupcakes to school. I think they went over ok. At home we had a Spiderman cake. The new six year old said "It's ok, but I thought it would be ALL of Spiderman." Gotta feel the love. I used a mold which only showed Spidey's face and arms doing the web-thing. Silly me. He also requested Chuck E. Cheese, so we obliged. We have only been there once before, for a friend's birthday, and he has been wanting to go ever since. After that he went to a friend's birthday party--it was a long day. We all ended the day still smiling, though, so I think it went well. Happy Birthday, baby.

The cake:

The boy, with candles stuck in the eyes as requested. Candles were Matt's (DS #2) job.


The boy with paper-airplane book:


DS #2, Matt:


Drew & Jim (DH):



Good times.

No comments: