Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Tomorrow"

I guess "tomorrow" is a relative term here. I meant to write, but...

Anyway, Wednesday was great. I did go by myself, but I got a great seat because of it. The talk was in a theater in/past/through an ice cream place. Funny that it could be there, but it was. They put me on the raised section in the second row. Still technically in the back, but raised so I had a pretty good view. When Stephanie came out to sign the group A books (for those people from far away), she was sitting right next to me. (Or I was sitting right next to her. Whatever.) I sat next to a nice lady from Peachtree City, and we gabbed. I also saw several people I knew from Guild and elsewhere, and I got to gab with them. Stephanie talked to the approx. 700 of us for about 1 1/2 hours. Boy, is she funny, thought-provoking, entertaining... Well worth the scary driving-to -VH-by-myself that I had to do. Since I was in the group B (for those of us "close by") signing group, I had a lot of free time after the talk. I hung out at the shop, gabbed some more, got dinner (hummus and grilled bread--yummy) across the street, and hung out at the shop some more. I met some great people from Athens, GA behind me in line, and got some knitting done on my current project. I finally got to have my book signed (I was one of the last), and was tongue-tied. Idiot. Stephanie was really nice, though, and I'm so glad that I went. It was a fun night.

I have finished a few more things. Last week I made myself finish at least one thing/day. I finished a crocheted baby blanket for DH's niece's new baby girl. (That makes me a great-aunt four times over--weird.) I wove ends in on a head scarf thing from Knitty. Can't remember the name of it, but it'll come to me. I wove in the ends of the Touch Me scarf and felted it. Wow, is that thing great. I used every bit of six skeins, though, and came up five inches shorter than they supposedly did with five skeins. How did they do that?? I wove in the ends on Aunt BJ's bag. (Now MAIL it, darnit!) There were a couple other things, but I can't remember them now. It was probably just weaving ends in--I'm bad about not doing that until I simply must mail something.

I'm chugging away on my dad's vest. (Really.) Five more inches, and I'll be done with the back.

I am also making a scarf with some alpaca that sister AJ gave me from Peru. She used to travel there quite a bit, and I benefited in the way of great yarn! This yarn is a gorgeous red color, and knits at 5 1/2 stitches to the inch. The scarf is my copy of the Swiss Cheese scarf from Morehouse Merino. I'm too cheap to buy the pattern, because it is only sold in a kit, so I'm having to make it up by myself. So far, so good. For some reason it makes me think of Ralph Macchio. (It's backward, though--cast off, cast on.) Let's see--did I go to high school in the 80s?

In my head I'm also designing copies of two other scarves I've seen online. These will be for my boys, and are Santa and a Snowman. The long scarfy bits are hats that end in the appropriate face at one end and a pompom at the other. What I can't decide is stockinette, 1 x 1 rib, garter, or tube. Santa would be easy, but I don't like what I've got available for his face. Snowman has way too many yarn options for the hat part. What to do, what to do? Oh--I also want to have one of them finished by the October 4th Guild meeting. Knit fast, Becky!

More "tomorrow."

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Is it just me or do you just have better Knit-related opportunities there in the Big City? So trying not to be jealous!! But also so glad you had the guts to go and go ALONE!! Sounds like it was fun! Can't wait to see some pix of the stuff you're finishing, too. Love ya!